MOT Test Centre in High Wycombe – Our Award Winning Garage
If you are looking for a Cut-Price MOT in High Wycombe…. keep browsing. If you want to know how to SAVE MONEY whilst having an MOT – read on!
Your Annual Safety Check – all MOT’s are not the same! Of course, legally they are – but you will find that at some MOT stations (like us) we will adjust headlights and other items that would otherwise lead to a failure. It’s just what we do. So we do a health check before your car reaches the ramps. This means we are also performing some additional checks which will keep you rolling for longer and help prevent expensive breakdowns.
Remember that if something does need doing to get your car through the MOT that is going to require a new part, we will price it all up and let you know before we do anything so that you can decide what’s best.
We are bound by a strict code of practice by both Ministry of Transport and our membership of the RMI and Independent Garage Association. We are also full members of the Trust My Garage network across the UK.
You are not bound to have any repairs done by the garage that performs your MOT – Don’t let ANY GARAGE TELL YOU OTHERWISE!!! (However there are important legal implications if your car does fail on any Major Safety or Environmental items – see below in the legal information)
Why Choose To Have Your MOT Done By Hillclimb Garage?
We have a unique approach to MOT’s at Hillclimb Garage. The MOT itself is entirely run as the DVSA rules dictate – and our Testers are bound by those rules – but it’s what else is included that makes the Hillclimb MOT a little different.
MOT’s are the minimum legal safety standard that is required to run your car on the road. However, there is so much more to looking after a car than the MOT. So we run our Hillclimb Health Check alongside – to include a Service Levels Check which checks Brake Fluid Levels, Coolant, Battery Health and our unique Oil Analysis – checking for the quality of the oil in your system – advising when your next Service is due.
We are committed to keeping your car on the road for longer, only doing any maintenance and repair work where necessary – advising you of other repairs that might be necessary
Call us now on 01494 444481
Been for a Cut Price MOT and now got a massive bill?
We are very happy to quote you for any works necessary and guide you through the no-nonsense version of preparing your car for the road. We have a small fleet of Courtesy Cars available and offer a COLLECTION AND DELIVERY Service too within 3 miles.
About Your MOT
When is my MOT Due?
Beware the sites online asking for payment to check this information! We can always look it up for you – or you can check online for FREE Here
Why do you need an MOT?
MOTs check the safety of your vehicle and ensure it complies with legislation regarding the level of emissions from the exhaust. Although it doesn’t check the road worthiness of your vehicle, it is still an essential piece of documentation, and without a valid MOT certificate your vehicle is not legally permitted on the roads. All cars over three years old need an annual MOT examination.For further information about the MOT rules click HERE
When do you need an MOT?
As the vehicle’s owner it is your responsibility to keep on top of when the MOT is due. It is illegal to drive a vehicle with an MOT certificate which has expired, so it is important to book your appointment with our MOT team before this happens. The earliest date at which you can book your test will be shown on your previous MOT certificate.
Before you arrive
To give your vehicle the best chance of passing its MOT, and potentially saving you money, there are a few things you can check before booking your MOT appointment:
1. Check the headlights, brake lights and indicators are working
2. Check there is no dirt on your number plate making it illegible
3. Check the wipers are working and are not torn or damaged
4. Top up your fuel, engine oil and screen wash
5. Check that the wheels and tyres are sufficiently inflated and have plenty of tread
6. Check all seat belts are undamaged and in good condition
HOWEVER!! We are going to do all of these checks for you when you choose a Hillclimb MOT
Legal Information About Your MOT
If your vehicle doesn’t have a current MOT certificate, you can only drive it to or from a pre-arranged MOT appointment or to or from a pre-arranged repair appointment to have defects remedied that were discovered on a previous test. You can also drive your vehicle on a road without road tax in these circumstances too but your vehicle must be insured. However, not having an MOT may have implications for the validity of your insurance – you would need to check this with your insurer.
The only way you could lawfully move a vehicle without an MOT, other than in the circumstances described above, is on a trailer or recovery vehicle so that all four wheels are off the ground.
- If a vehicle has failed an MOT you can’t drive it away from the garage if any of the defects were classed as being dangerous. Dangerous defects mean a direct and immediate risk to road safety or have a serious impact on the environment – do not drive the vehicle until they’ve been repaired.
- You will commit an offence if you park a vehicle without an MOT on the road.
- The law makes no mention as to how far you can go for an MOT but we would suggest the distance is kept as short as possible because even though you are exempt from having a valid MOT certificate in the circumstances described above, if you are stopped by the police you could still be prosecuted for any defective parts on your vehicle e.g. exhaust, brakes and tyres etc. If you call in at shops etc. on your way to the MOT, it may be held that you are using the vehicle for other purposes and the above exemption won’t apply. The further you travel the more likelihood there is of your vehicle triggering an ANPR camera and you being stopped.
- You can get an MOT up to a month (minus a day) before it runs out and keep the same renewal date.
- You can be fined up to £1,000 for driving a vehicle without a valid MOT.